Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- We're in search of a Senior DevOps Engineer, a role which incorporates different aspects of software engineering and applies them to problems within IT operations. The primary goals are to create highly-scalable and reliable software systems. The Senior DevOps Engineer empowers software engineers to own ongoing daily operation of their applications that are in production. The goal is to bridge the gap between the development team that may want to release products as fast as possible and the operations team that doesn-t want anything to go wrong in production.
- Proactively monitor and review application performance
- Work on feature requests, defects and other development tasks
- Demonstrate the confidence to advocate for a given automation task or DevOps initiative; stand up for why it's critical to automate a particular process or other piece of work
- Manage the full lifecycle of services - from initial setup and release to day-to-day CI/CD; should be passionate about building software to streamline and automate service deployment and operation for software engineers
- Constantly think about inefficient and time-consuming practices of people and try to eliminate them as soon as possible
- Familiar with source code management, compilers, build configuration languages, automated build tools, package managers, and installers
- Persistence + diplomacy for the times automation goals can appear to clash with the culture and/or pace of organization
- Ensure the binaries and configurations used are built in a reproducible, automated way so that releases are repeatable (intentional not accidental)
- Work in a collaborative environment, interfacing and developing relationships with groups from all areas of ConEd - business team members, IT supporting teams, as well as vendor/contractor team members - in order to deliver solutions that benefit ConEd requirements analyses and deliver solutions that benefit ConEd overall
- As part of the larger team, contribute to overall product roadmap
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree with a specialization in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, or related focus is a plus And three (3) or more years work experience Or
- High School Diploma/GED And five (5) or more years work experience
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent is a plus.
Required Work Experience
- Skill set should include deep knowledge of multiple domains, such as development, configuration management, test integration, on-premise and cloud infrastructure, and customer support
- Excellent history of ensuring software has exceptional logging and diagnostics
- Experience creating and maintaining operational runbooks
- Has experience with on-call and emergency support work
- Always contemplating the bigger picture outside of the day-to-day
- Understands and interprets things at a higher level, constantly analyzing every change for its risk and what its impact could be down the road, and what it means for the larger infrastructure
- Is pragmatic and willing to dump processes and procedures that may be well intentioned but don-t turn out actually to be productive
- Understands that small changes can have much greater implications for other systems down the road
- Embraces every opportunity to automate
- Is passionate about problem solving in an Agile environment
- Is open to learning new ideas outside scope
- Collaborative, curious, empathetic, open-minded, innovative
- Industry expertise in the energy industry is a plus, but not a requirement.
Skills & Ability
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Proactively approaches responsibilities
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated analytical skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.