Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Engineer will be responsible for the complete management of selected projects; design review of gas transmission and distribution systems, equipment, and installation specifications, bid preparation and evaluation, appropriations, scheduling, construction and acceptance testing.
- Prepare and/or direct the preparation of design packages (specifications/drawings) and the review contractor shop drawings; serve as a consultant within the Company or industry in his or her area of specialization; perform cost benefit analysis/conduct conceptual studies to determine best designs; prepare or direct the preparation of budgets and appropriation requests for specific projects; perform calculations for specific projects and be required to direct, coordinate and review work of outside consultant, technicians and designers.
- Will also ensure implementation of Company Safety, Health and Environmental programs for employees whose work is directed and ensure that safe work practices are followed, and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and environmental regulations.
- Provide support to Gas Engineering and Operations, Purchasing and Construction Departments for the procurement and construction of projects.
- Supervise both in-house and external design efforts.
- The Engineer will provide direct field support in response to failures and respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, when necessary.
- Will be required to travel to all Con Edison sites requiring support.
- Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering And 2 years of full time work experience to include at least 1 year of applicable civil engineering experience - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, with EIT certificate And 3 years of applicable civil engineering work experience - ENGINEER (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering with a PE License And 8 years of applicable civil engineering work experience - SR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree with a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering, and a PE License And 6 years of applicable civil engineering work experience - SR ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- Design Engineering Department is seeking to recruit a highly motivated candidate to join the Gas Engineering Support Section. The ideal candidate must demonstrate a strong commitment to Excellence, Communication and Accountability. Must be able to exercise independent judgment and possess the ability to render sound decisions. Must be well organized, detail oriented, flexible to handle multiple assignments, meet deadlines, set and achieve goals and communicate clearly. Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team-spirited work environment in support of the Company's Corporate Values. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with strong verbal and written communication skills. Must possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with colleagues, suppliers, and various levels of management. The candidate will be supporting gas engineering and gas operations, and field inspections. The candidate will also assess structural support systems, respond to engineering support requests and establish methods for evaluating, assessing and prioritizing repairs or the replacement of steel, concrete and masonry systems. Required
- Must have a proven record of engineering accomplishments, with a strong technical knowledge in the design of all types of steel, concrete and masonry structures. Therefore, a thorough knowledge of all applicable codes such as AISC, ACI, ASCE, NYC Building Code, etc. is necessary. Must have a thorough understanding of the environmental issues that impact civil projects. Required
- Requires a minimum of 2 years of full time work experience to include one year of civil engineering work. Req And
- Requires computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Req And
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the DOT PHMSA exam and test Required
- Project management experience preferred. Preference will be given to those with the following: Gas Engineering, Gas Operations, utility work, industrial, heavy commercial or petrochemical industry experience. Knowledge of pipeline welding, non-destructive testing, and pipeline construction for all candidates is also preferred. Preferred
- A Master's Degree and Professional Engineer License are preferred. Working knowledge of design programs such as STAAD or SAP 2000 or equal, AutoCad, MathCad, etc. is strongly preferred. Knowledge of state and federal regulations affecting gas operations is preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within the company's service territory as required.
- Must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able and willing to work in environments consisting of both office and field settings.
- For field visits, must be able to walk extensively, climb, bend, kneel, work in environments with exposure to noise, heat, confined spaces, heights, etc.
- Must be willing and able to wear respirator, full body fall protection and associated required PPE.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.