Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Mechanic B will pursue a career path qualifying as a Mechanic A.
- Mechanic B (Mechanical) will work on mechanical equipment in maintaining, repairing and installing power piping systems, associated valves, tanks and vessels and various types of rotating mechanical equipment such as fans, blowers, pumps, motors, etc. using various field power tools and precision measuring equipment.
- Mechanic B (Mechanical) will have a working knowledge in the following areas: confined space entry, basic pumps, coupling alignment, bearing maintenance, pipe fitting, oxy-acetylene torch cutting, rigging, scaffolding, mechanical drawing, boiler tube repair, math and industrial safety, machine shop, conduit bending, basic electricity, scaffolding, skyclimber/hanging platforms, crane operation and welding (GTAW, SMAW).
- Mechanic B (Electrical) will work on the electrical equipment to install, repair and maintain utility electrical equipment, read schematic drawings and engineering prints using testing devices to troubleshoot problems within electrical components, circuits or equipment.
- Obtain both the New York State and New York City Asbestos Handler's License.
- Drive a company vehicle to work locations, when required.
- Gain knowledge of the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Gain welding experience and obtain license, as required.
- Able to work weekends, midnight shifts and overtime, when necessary
- High School Diploma/GED And 3 years' experience power plant components and equipment (or similar)
Required Work Experience
- 3-5 years power plant components and equipment (or similar) Required
- NYS Asbestos Handler's License Preferred
- National Electric Code (NEC) knowledge Preferred
- Welding Certification/License and experience Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must unload materials from delivery vehicles and deliver equipment and materials to various operating facilities
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.