Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- At O&R, we have and we all need to take special interest in our customers, both within the company and externally. As an employee, you need to commit to these ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Prepare sketches to be used as the design guide for the Design Drafters in the preparation of relay and meter one-line diagrams, schematics and construction drawings.
- Perform Relay Setting Calculations for electro-mechanical, solid state, and microprocessor type relays. Familiar with vendor software, settings/logic files and communication assisted protection systems.
- Use the Aspen One Line system-modeling program for fault current simulations and relay coordination.
- Support the field personnel to develop relay system testing, analyze system problems and perform root cause analysis.
- Prepare outage reports for each system relay operation and system disturbances utilizing relay/DFR records. Provide test letters and corrective action plans.
- Perform preliminary Engineering cost estimates for feasibility studies as required to develop project alternatives.
- Visit manufacturing facilities to witness tests on protection apparatus and prepare reports.
- Attend departmental meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Ensure that the department is kept up-to-date on the progress of projects, including the update of the Budget.
- Keep informed of the industry and keeps up to date with the latest developments in the Relay field as well as the Transmission Planning field.
- Participate in the Company's Emergency Response Plan through a designated storm assignment.
- Familiar with NERC, NPCC, and RFC standards and requirements associated with Protection systems.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. And 2 years of total work experience to include one year of applicable engineering work (Engineer-O&R 1H)
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. And 3-5 years of engineering work experience in Relay Engineering. Must be an experienced relay engineer capable of running relay projects, approving drawings and fault event review (Sr Engineer-O&R 2L)
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required. And 8 years of engineering work experience, with at least 5 years of experience in relay protection. Must be an experienced relay engineer capable of running relay projects, approving drawings and fault event review (Principal Engineer 2H)
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 1 year experience related relay design experience. Required
- Experience and/or knowledge of Transmission relay design, settings and testing. Required
- Ability to interpret one-line, and schematic drawings. Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical, technical and computer skills. Required
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
- The Principal Engineer must be technically proficient in a broad range of engineering responsibilities and show a willingness to explore and implement new and creative solutions. Required
- Proficiency with ASPEN and SEL/GE software. Req
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Senior Engineer or Principal Engineer Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.