Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Manager will provide oversight and leadership of the ChemLab's Technical Support group. The Manager will lead ChemLab Specialist(s) and technicians in providing technical services to support ChemLab operations. The Manager will provide oversight of processes to monitor and maintain the ChemLab's budget, procedures, facilities, QA/QC functions, Certifications, purchasing functions, EH&S programs and training. The Manager will also lead the investigations of new initiatives using Project Management skills.
- Responsible for overseeing a process for creating and updating procedures (SOPs) for laboratory analyses, field sampling, and administrative tasks at the ChemLab
- Prepares the ChemLab for all audits and responds to all findings and deficiencies.
- Provides oversight to ensure the ChemLab maintains its certifications, including NYSDOH ELAP and ISO 17025.
- Acts as a liaison between ChemLab and Facilities Management on ChemLab facility projects.
- Provides oversight of purchasing and expenditure activities and helps develop future budgets and cost saving initiatives.
- Provides direction in the implementation of the ChemLab's environmental, health and safety programs, including MVA and accident investigations, JSSEs, and entries in SHIMS, EMIS and other systems. Tracks and trends driving behaviors and other safety issues and makes recommendations for improvement to ChemLab staff to strive for a Zero Harm culture at the ChemLab.
- Provides oversight in ensuring that the ChemLab is in compliance with hazardous waste regulations and maintains all FDNY permits.
- Provides oversight of internal and external training scheduling for all ChemLab personnel.
- Actively looks for opportunities and initiatives to improve the ChemLab.
- Develops a Project Management plan and follows Project Management steps in exploring new initiatives to improve the ChemLab.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of expertise in the use of the Company's various computer systems such as the various financial systems (e.g. HR Payroll, Oracle), laboratory systems (e.g. LIMS, Mainsaver, Chromeleon), and the Microsoft Office products.
- Responsible to fill the Emergency Duty Supervisory position to provide a responsible ChemLab contact during off-shifts and weekends.
- Responsible for responding to field emergencies on off-shifts and weekends including, but not limited to, PFT leak searching activities.
- Responsible for working greater than 8 hours per shift on an as-needed basis.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of department goals.
- Performs other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or Environmental Science (preferred) And Five (5) years of relevant experience Experience in a laboratory, related technical field, or project management required.
- Master's Degree Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or Environmental Science (preferred) And Three (3) years of relevant experience Experience in a laboratory, related technical field, or project management required.
Required Work Experience
- Work experience in a laboratory, related technical field or project management Req And
- Completion of position-specific EH&S training within one (1) year Req And
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred Pref And
- Familiarity with the CEHSPs Pref And
- Familiarity with NELAC, ELAP and ISO requirements and guidelines preferred Pref And
- Project Management experience or coursework Pref And
- Experience with work management systems (ex Maximo) Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills And
- Effective leadership skills And
- Highly thorough and dependable And
- Effective interpersonal skills And
- Builds and manages effective teams And
- Effectively coaches and delivers constructive feedback And
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments And
- Demonstrated analytical skills And
- Demonstrated problem solving skills And
- Possesses strong technical aptitude And
- Project Demonstrated project management skills And
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Preferred Or
- Certified Project Management (CPM) Preferred
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must free climb ladders up to 475 feet high
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Position requires flexibility to work outdoors and rotating shifts.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.