Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Supervise 8 - 12 union mechanics to operate and maintain the Steam Distribution System.
- Monitor and account for material, supplies, and equipment.
- Schedule personnel to optimize productivity and meet operating goals and system constraints.
- Monitor and administer safety, environmental and training programs.
- Monitor compliance with Company policies and procedures (EEO), Substance Abuse, Security, Productivity and Environmental Instructions, Code of Conduct, etc. Review and write procedures for proper maintenance of the steam distribution system.
- Maintain the Quality of Life and Customer Service Index within department goals. Address all customer complaints and concerns.
- Ensure that work schedules meet all PSC requirements with regard to traps, inspections, and calibrations.
- Prioritize and schedule work including logistics to minimize disruption to city events, vehicle and pedestrian traffic, the community, and steam service.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering And 2 years' experience equivalent work experience is required.
- High School Diploma/GED And 5 years' experience equivalent work experience is required.
Required Work Experience
- Must demonstrate the ability to gain a working knowledge of the installation, maintenance and repair of Steam Distribution main, service, and customer piping systems and related equipment. Req And
- Experience with emergency response (Incident Command) and qualified as a HAZWOPER First Responder is required. Req And
- New York City/New York State Asbestos Supervisor and NYS Inspector certificate must be obtained within 1 year of job assignment. Req And
- Excellent leadership and communication skills along with the ability to work as part of a team. Req Or
- Supervisory experience Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: New York City/New York State Asbestos Supervisor and NYS Inspector certificate 1 Year Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.