Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Collaborates with SCADA engineers to insure adequacy and accuracy of analog, status and control signals from field device's instrumentations. Develops informal and formal testing for Tech Lab performance trials of automation products and sensors. Develops field testing plans for field commissioning new automation equipment and systems. Recommends developments to functional scope and design documentation for enhancements to existing systems.
- Evaluates the performance of DA field devices and recommend replacements and improvements. Works with vendors and evaluates new equipment for inclusion into DA programs. Understands construction and the operation of electric delivery systems and has knowledge of automation and use of distribution automation devices such as reclosers, capacitors, and switches.
- Collaborates with users to prepare requirements for enhancements to existing systems and the development of new systems. Assists with programming specifications based on system design.
- Provides oversight and leadership for implementation of projects by providing monthly progress and financial reports to the appropriate company personnel.
- Works as a liaison between project teams, external agencies, contractors, as well as appropriate Company departments (Engineering departments, R&D, Distribution Engineering, Control Centers and emergency responders, etc.) to coordinate and complete projects.
- Manages installation of vendor products. Supports and maintains vendor packages in production. Performs high level applications testing for technology upgrades as necessary. Works with the construction department to install, test, repair, troubleshoot, and commission DA field devices with the ADMS.
- Assists application development and code supporting scripts and processes. Performs testing and troubleshooting of problems found in the system's environments. Works with teams to develop appropriate plans and processes for the coordinated sharing of data, based on the requirements of departments, systems, and users. Configures and maintains data, databases and displays related to the ADMS processes and interfaces.
- Actively monitors and maintains compliance with Cyber Security Standards. Activities include patch management of system equipment, anti-virus updates/upgrades, system health/intrusion detection and other systems functions as needed.
- Installs, configures and maintains cyber security systems, operating systems and software applications used in conjunction with these systems.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Contributes to functional scope developments and design documentation for enhancements to existing systems (2L, 2H).
- Works with vendors and evaluates new equipment for inclusion into DA programs (2H).
- Leads application enhancements and DA equipment integrations (2H).
- Directs activities and continually assess contractor and Company resource requirements, budgets and schedules. (2H).
- Directs, mentors, and teaches lower band engineers in Systems Engineering group. Direction includes assigning and reviewing work, collaboration on new strategies, methods, and development of integrated automation equipment and components. (2H).
- Is regarded as a technical expert of Advanced Electrical Automation Engineering and all elements of distribution automation and SCADA systems. (2H).
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- And 2 years of engineering work experience (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree In Engineering And 5 years of work experience (Sr. Engineer-O&R 2L) 2 years work experience with SCADA and automation Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years of work experience (Principal Engineer 2H) 5 years work experience with SCADA and automation
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical Engineering
Required Work Experience
- 2 years work experience with SCADA and automation. (2L) Required
- 5 years work experience with SCADA and automation. (2H) Required
- Technical experience in operations, engineering, system operations, or information systems. Required
- Familiar with database structures and queries. Required
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff and various levels of management. Required
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Required
- Work well in team situations, be willing and able to lead and participate in cross functional teams as required. Must be creative and have the ability to work in a team atmosphere. Required
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments and deadlines. Required
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, and various levels of management. Required
- Demonstrated leadership ability and proven track record of achieving sustainable results in managing projects, systems implementation and process documentation. (2H) Required
- Experience with Electric Control Relay programming. (2H) Required
- Experience in research and development project life cycle from concept to field trails and commissioning / implementation. (2H) Required
- Experience with Electric Utility SCADA. (2H) Required
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and training peers and/or direct reports. (2H) Required
- Experience in logic programming or configuration of any automation control device; PLCs, DCS, other logical automation devices. Experience with Electric Control Relay programming. (2L) Required
- Should have experience with R&D projects and prototype testing and development. Preferred
- Should have experience with real time control system applications. Preferred
- Should have experience in design and configuration of a Human Machine Interface or SCADA systems for automation system visualization. Preferred
- Should have experience in the programming and configuration of serial communications between automation devices and to HMI/SCADA systems. Preferred
- Should have experience with setting up and configuring radio communications and high-speed network communications. Preferred
- Experience and knowledge of electric utility distribution. Preferred
- Should have familiarity with programming languages Python, PowerShell, VB. Preferred
- Should have knowledge of eDNA, PI, Oracle, ODBC, MS-Access, or MS-SQL Server. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Professional Engineer's License in NY or NJ. Preferred
- Must push, pull, lift up to 25 pounds
- Must push, pull, lift up to 40 pounds
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.