Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Specialist/Sr. Specialist is responsible for supervising and directing the activities of technicians in the performance of environmental sampling and chemical analyses of a wide variety of samples submitted to the EH&S ChemLab in Astoria. The Specialist/Sr. Specialist will provide proper oversight and direction of laboratory and field operations personnel to ensure sampling and analytical activities are performed accurately, efficiently and in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, ordinances, directives, and orders which regulate environmental analyses. The Specialist/Sr. Specialist will assign and review technicians' work to ensure that legally defensible analytical results are obtained to support the company's environmental programs. The Sr. Specialist will have additional technical & project management responsibilities
- Provides supervisory oversight and expectation setting for technicians to ensure analysis and sampling are performed in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Responsible for assignment of daily work to technicians, technician performance evaluations, tracking technician productivity and meeting technician training goals.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of expertise in the use of the Company's various computer systems such as the various financial systems (HR Payroll, Oracle), laboratory systems (e.g. LIMS, Mainsaver, Chromeleon), and the Microsoft Office products.
- Responsible to fill the Emergency Duty Supervisory position to provide a responsible ChemLab contact for all Company Operating Organizations during off-shifts and weekends.
- Responsible for responding to field emergencies on off-shifts and weekends including, but not limited to, PFT leak searching activities.
- Responsible for working greater than 8 hours per shift on an as-needed basis.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of department goals.
- Responsible for inspections of work areas to minimize safety hazards and to see that employees are working safety (JSSEs). Conducts safety talks at regular intervals and encourages participation. Fosters an attitude which promotes and supports environmental compliance.
- Responsible for monitoring the Laboratory Operation's operating budget. Ensures costs are controlled through the prudent use of consumables and the work force.
- Ensures that good housekeeping and cleanliness practices are followed by frequent inspections of work areas.
- Responsible for training of technicians on internal procedures (SOPs) for analysis and maintenance of training records.
- Responsible for creating and updating procedures (SOPs) for analyses.
- Additional responsibilities for Sr. Specialist 2L: Responsible for long term project management to investigate and implement new laboratory innovations as well as oversight of ChemLab's budgetary expenditure and quality control programs including audit preparation. Responsible for seeking technological improvements to better support the ChemLab's sustainability and customer needs.
- Performs other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And between two (2) to three (3) years of relevant experience Specialist 1H: Two (2) year of relevant experience
- Sr. Specialist 2L: Three (3) years of work experience in a laboratory or related technical field required.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Data Science or Environmental Science (preferred)
Required Work Experience
- Completion of position-specific EH&S training within one (1) year Required
- Work experience in a laboratory or EH&S discipline preferred Preferred
- Previous supervisory experience preferred Preferred
- Completion of Company CEHSP preferred of successful completion of CEHSP program within two (2) years Preferred
- Familiarity with NELAC, ELAP and ISO requirements and guidelines preferred Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills And
- Effectively coaches and delivers constructive feedback And
- Demonstrated analytical skills And
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills And
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc. And
- Effective interpersonal skills And
- Ability to lead/manage others
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Preferred
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Position requires flexibility to work outdoors and rotating shifts.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.