Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Operations Trainer will be responsible for establishing training criteria, maintain training progress, work directly with the new and current employees in the field as well as work with existing employees to update their training requirements. The Operations Trainer will lead the effort to create and maintain station procedures, align and support with operational program goals and initiatives and work collaboratively with Steam Operations Compliance group. The Operations Trainer will be responsible for continuously improving the Steam Operations procedures review and Training program to keep the organization on schedule in the development of its most important resource.
- Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policies and regulatory regulations.
- Establishes and implements a comprehensive field-training program for both new hires and senior title employees.
- Reinforces TLC skills training with hands on field application for new hires.
- Assesses and corrects any gaps between current career path curriculum and previous skills training for employees with senior titles.
- Coordinates and administers on the job training to field personnel to ensure overall training compliance and are knowledgeable to perform their functions.
- Recommends additional training as needed to increase proficiency and efficiency of the workforce.
- Develops and implements training for operators, mechanics, and supervisors.
- Effectively communicates appropriate procedural changes, lessons learned, and engineering plans and specifications to supervisors to ensure the proper operation, maintenance, repair, and restoration of Steam generation and electric generation equipment.
- Provides feedback from a field perspective to act as a liaison to TLC staff.
- Assists the Operations Manager with coaching and mentoring of new and incumbent supervisors.
- Trains new supervisors on the core responsibilities as outlined in the Steam Operations Expectations document.
- Coordinates supervisor training with the Learning Center and outside vendors and make recommendations for modifying existing training.
- Promotes a customer service focus among supervisors, mechanics and operators, while emphasizing professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence and teamwork.
- Monitors the performance of all field training related activities.
- Performs augment staffing duties during special contingencies, weather criteria, or resource shortages. This would include: Acting as a liaison between System Operations, Central Engineering and Electric Operations.
- Ensures Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools are incorporated into daily work activities.
- Ensures that all work is being performed in an effective and efficient manner.
- Creates/Encourages a culture that engrains Zero Accident, Operational Excellence, Effective Cost Management, Diversity and Inclusion, and Enhancing the Customer Experience.
- Actively participates in various training related committees (TEC, Operating Error Committee, HPI Committee, Incidents Review Committee, etc.).
- Performs quality control reviews.
- Supervises the administrative staff.
- Assist the Operations Manager to achieve departmental and station initiatives as needed.
- Performs other related tasks and assignments as required.
- High School Diploma/GED And 5-7 years of Operation or Maintenance experience Work experience in power plant or merchant shipping environment
- Bachelor's Degree In Engineering And 3-5 years of Operations or Maintenance experience Work experience in power plant or merchant shipping environment
Required Work Experience
- Thorough working knowledge of the General Instructions Governing Work on System Electrical Equipment (Rule Book), Steam Operations Procedures, safe work practices and procedures, operating orders & work permits and use of appropriate personal protective equipment. Required
- Working knowledge of the Work Management Systems (e.g. Maximo, DataSplice, AutoTour). Required
- Experience and knowledge associated with boiler and auxiliary system operations, control room operations, plant start-up and oil transfer operations. Required
- Knowledge of plant distributed control systems. Required
- Must have a proven record of fostering the principles of the teamwork with other Steam Operations groups and Company departments to achieve results. Required
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications. Required
- Strong oral, written, presentation, and communication skills. Required
- NYC Stationary Engineer's High Pressure. Preferred
- Prior experience as a Shift Supervisor in a power plant. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Boiler License NYC Stationary Engineer's High Pressure Upon Hire Preferred Or
- Boiler License NYC Stationary Engineer's High Pressure 1 1/2 Yrs Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.