Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Distribution Planning is seeking to recruit a highly motivated employee to join its Area Station Planning section. The successful candidate must understand the vital importance of commitment to excellence and providing exemplary customer service. Must be energetic and demonstrate an unwavering commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adherence to the Company's Code of Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- Perform load flow studies to support the subtransmission feeder and area substation supply to the distribution system.
- Perform technical and economic studies to evaluate area substation and subtransmission feeder load relief alternatives including addition of capacitors, transformers, load transfers and the establishment of new area substations and transmission stations.
- Determine non-traditional load relief alternatives including implementation of customer and utility-sided distributed energy resources (DER) as area substation load relief solutions.
- Assess non-wires alternatives for load relief projects and apply benefit cost analysis to determine the most economical load relief projects.
- Perform area station impact studies involving proposed interconnection of DER.
- Assume primary responsibility in the preparation of Ten -Year and Long-Term Area Substation Load Relief Programs for designated operational regions.
- Assist in preparation of Ten-Year 4 kV Substation Load Relief Programs when so directed.
- Oversee, guide and train Engineers, Associate Engineers and Technical Associates, when so directed.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to Electric Operations Regions, System Operation, Substation Operations, Customer Energy Solutions, Central Engineering groups such as Asset Management, Transmission Line Engineering as required.
- Perform short-term and long-term electric system planning which is critical to the company's capital budget.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (2H) And with 8 years of related work experience is required preferably with knowledge of substation operations and/or planning or 4kV substation planning; (2H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical or Mechanical Engineering And with minimum of 3 years related work experience related to the engineering and/or operations of an electrical utility including technical knowledge of utility electrical systems is required. Engineer (2L) Or
- Master's Degree Electrical or Mechanical Engineering And with 6 years of related work experience preferably with knowledge of substation operations and/or planning and/or 4kv substation planning(2H)
Required Work Experience
- All Candidates must have:
- Must understand the vital importance of commitment to excellence and providing exemplary customer service.
- Must be energetic and demonstrate an unwavering commitment to our Code of Conduct and The Way We Work.
- Experience with Transmission system, Area Substation and/or 4kV Substation planning or operations are required
- Should have work experience related to the engineering and/or operations of an electrical utility including technical knowledge of utility electrical systems.
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Project), as well as other company software systems are required.
- Knowledge of Load Flow analysis programs, and a working understanding of database applications are required.
- Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to understand and prepare one-line diagrams is required.
Skills & Ability
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to answer a phone for entire shift
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
- Must have excellent manual dexterity and be able to use hands for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.