Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Senior Engineer performs assignments of moderate to high complexity in engineering design, problem analysis, planning, conducts field investigations and prepares associated reports, specifications, standards and test memoranda within the field or fields of responsibility.
- The engineer will be responsible for the complete management of selected projects; design review of gas transmission and distribution systems, equipment, and installation specifications, bid preparation and evaluation, appropriations, scheduling, construction and acceptance testing. Candidates will prepare and/or direct the preparation of design packages (specifications/drawings) and the review contractor shop drawings; serve as a consultant within the Company or industry in his or her area of specialization; perform cost benefit analysis/conduct conceptual studies to determine best designs; prepare or direct the preparation of budgets and appropriation requests for specific projects; perform calculations for specific projects and be required to direct, coordinate and review work of outside consultant, technicians and designers.
- Will also ensure implementation of Company Safety, Health and Environmental programs for employees whose work is directed and ensure that safe work practices are followed, and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and environmental regulations.
- Supervise both in-house and external design efforts. The Engineer will provide direct field support in response to failures and respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, when necessary. Will be required to travel to all Con Edison sites requiring support. Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- The engineer will provide direct field support in response to failures and respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, when necessary. The Candidate will be required to travel to all Con Edison sites requiring support.
- Will provide support to Gas Engineering and Gas Technical Operations, and Construction Departments for the engineering design, procurement, and field support of projects.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering And 8 years of engineering experience in: gas systems, mechanical components, HVAC and/or fire protection Or
- Master's Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering And a Masters degree and 6 years of engineering experience in: gas systems, mechanical components, HVAC and/or fire protection
Relevant Work Experience
- Design Engineering Department is seeking to recruit a highly motivated candidate to join the Gas Engineering Support Section. The ideal candidate must demonstrate a strong commitment to Excellence, Communication and Accountability. Must be able to exercise independent judgment and possess the ability to render sound decisions. Must be well organized, detail oriented, and flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities. Must be able to meet deadlines, set and achieve goals and communicate clearly. Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team-spirited work environment in support of the Company's Corporate Values. To succeed in this position, the right candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful and articulate. Must possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with colleagues, suppliers, and various levels of management. The candidate will be supporting gas engineering and gas operations, root cause investigation of incidents and field inspections. Required
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering with experience in gas systems, mechanical components, HVAC and/or fire protection Required
- The candidate must have a working knowledge of gas codes (NYCRR Part 255, DOT 49 CFR Part 192), Mechanical Industry Standards, fire codes or governmental permitting regulations. Required
- Preference will be given to those with the following experience: gas engineering, gas operations, utility work, industrial, heavy commercial or petrochemical industry experience. Preferred
- Knowledge of pipeline welding, non-destructive testing, and pipeline construction for all candidates is also preferred. Preferred
- P.E. license and/or project management experience is preferred. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: P.E. License Preferrederred Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to wear respirator, full body fall protection and associated required PPE. Must be able and willing to work overtime and weekends as needed.
- Must be able and willing to travel within the company service territory.
- Must be able and willing to walking extensively, climb, bend, kneel, and work in environments with exposure to noise, heat, confined spaces, heights, etc.
- Must be to work in all weather conditions as the working environment consists of both office and field settings.
- Must be able to and willing to complete and pass PHMSA physical exam and drug test
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.