Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Proficient in the civil design of distribution substations, high voltage transmission stations and their components.
- Prepares material and construction specifications for distribution substation and transmission station construction projects.
- Proficient in civil engineering site development practices such as site planning, grading, excavation, drainage, roadways and distribution substation and transmission station layouts.
- Proficient in the design of storm water systems and familiar with the design and permitting requirements of New Jersey and New York.
- Proficient in civil engineering and structural design of concrete, steel and wood structures and foundations.
- Understand civil engineering and structural engineering for the design, construction and operation of modern electric substations and transmission stations.
- Proficient in the use of structural engineering design software such as RISA-3D, RISA-Foundation and EPRI's mFAD.
- Uses diagnostic tools such as MS Project, as well as other financial and project management tools used by T&S Engineering to effectively manage construction projects.
- Reviews, analyzes, and prepares reports for each project to determine best practices and designs.
- Performs engineering cost estimates and develops project design alternatives as necessary.
- Works with field personnel to analyze problems, assists with inspections, and develops feasibility studies and required solutions to solve civil engineering related problems as they arise.
- Serves as Project Engineer for all assigned T&S Civil Engineering projects, and supervises lower level engineers. Works closely with manufacturers, contractors, and suppliers relative to their proposals, project performance, specification of materials, and processing of invoices for payment in accordance with their performance under contract.
- Assists the Substation Operations Department by reviewing and/or recommending designs for maintenance projects.
- Works closely with the Real Estate Department, Customer Operations and Public Affairs in reviewing property acquisitions.
- Prepares sketches to be used as the design guide for the Design Drafters in the preparation of standards and project construction drawings.
- Directs the activities of employees assigned on a specific project.
- Keeps informed and up to date on the latest industry standards and developments in the civil engineering, structural engineering, distribution substations, transmission stations and construction fields.
- Attends departmental meetings as required to ensure that the department is kept up to date on the progress of construction projects.
- Represents the Company at industry meetings, project meetings and project presentations, including meetings for municipal approvals such as Planning Board and Zoning Board meetings.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years working in engineering roles in the electric power industry, or serving in a relevant engineering capacity.
Relevant Work Experience
- Solid understanding of civil engineering design and structural design particularly related to electrical distributions substations and transmission stations is preferred. Required
- Solid understanding of civil construction particularly related to electrical distribution substations and transmission stations is preferred. Required
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments and deadlines. Required
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, public officials, support staff, and various levels of management. Required
- Must have strong analytical, technical and interpersonal skills. Required
- Must demonstrate the ability to work independently or as part of a team. Required
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Windows environments is required - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project. Required
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: A New York and/or New Jersey Professional Engineer's License Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.