Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Staff Attorney is responsible for assisting other members of the Law Department in providing legal and regulatory services to the Company, including representing the Company in matters before State and Federal regulators, and providing advice and legal counsel to the Company's operating groups.
- At Con Edison we have and we all need to take special interest in our customers, both within the company and externally. As an employee, you need to commit to these ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Under the supervision of senior attorneys, perform the following functions:
- - Will render legal advice and assist in the representation of the Company in federal and state administrative proceedings, including rate cases, and related judicial appeals.
- - Will assist in the preparation of a variety of regulatory filings including tariff and rate filings.
- - Will perform legal research and write legal memoranda.
- - Will provide any other legal service related to Company operations.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Juris Doctorate Juris Doctor degree from an accredited Law School required.
Relevant Work Experience
- Licensed to practice law or bar admission pending. If not a member of the New York State Bar or pending admission to the New York State Bar, must be an active or pending member of the bar in good standing in any state, territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and have the ability to register as a New York in-house counsel. Required
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects effectively and efficiently. Required
- Flexibility and ability to handle busy work environment. Required
- Must excel at written and oral communication skills, negotiation skills, presentation skills and interpersonal skills, and must be able to adopt a customer service mentality. Required
- Two to three years of relevant experience. Required
- Experience providing federal or state legal and regulatory services as part of a public utility, law firm, or regulatory agency. Preferred
- Knowledge of federal or state electric or gas regulation, laws, and policies. Preferred
- Experience in preparing comments and other submissions at federal or state regulatory agencies. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must push, pull, lift up to 25 pounds
- Must sit or stand to answer a phone for entire shift
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
- Must have excellent manual dexterity and be able to use hands for entire shift
- Must stand to use operate office equipment for entire shift
- Must be able to read small print and symbols.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within the Company's service territory and to Washington, D.C., Albany, N.Y., Trenton, N.J., and Newark, N.J., as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.