Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is directed. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adheres to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- Provides technical review of Steam engineering approved sketches to ensure constructability.
- The primary responsibility of the General Utility Worker (GUW) in Steam - is to learn and qualify for the required welding procedures, to weld in our shop facility, and street work sites/excavations.
- These functions include machine, climbing and working in street excavations, and welding various types of metals to install or repair equipment to maintain our system reliability. Work with other lead mechanic welders to perform all prep and fit-up of pipe and equipment being installed.
- Candidates must also have the ability to advance through career path training, progress to certified mechanic welder title and present a positive image for the company.
- This position requires the ability to work overtime, off hours, various rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays; and respond to emergencies.
- Knowledge and skill are required in, but not limited to, the use of hand and power tools and the application of safe work practices. Knowledge and skill in pipe preparation for welding and pipe fit-up for welding.
- Being able to performs standard maintenance functions, knowledge of sheeting and shoring, safe construction work practices in compliance with street excavations and environmental policies and procedures.
- The nature of this job requires an individual to have mechanical experience and abilities.
- Must be able wear a respirator.
- It is a preference that the Candidates have some welding experience or experience working with welders. Preference will be given to applicants that meets these requirement.
- Preference for interviewing and hiring will be given to candidates that meet the preferred requirements indicated in the below section for Education & Experience.
- High School Diploma/GED Candidates must have a minimum of 300 hours of weld training and/or 3 years of welding experience.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Selected candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.