Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is directed. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Is dedicated to enhancing the Customer Experience, both within the Company and externally and demonstrates a commitment to the ideal of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Responsible for the safe, efficient, and compliant daily operation of the electric distribution system at the DCC during normal and emergency operating conditions (e.g. storms), distribution contingencies and customer and equipment restoration efforts.
- Ensure operations, scheduling, communications and reporting are conducted in compliance with company policies and accepted industry standards, including integration of Human Performance Improvement (HPI) principles in all aspects of DCC activities.
- Provide operational oversight and technical, procedural, administrative and incident management support to the DCC staff on all issues and events during the operation of the distribution system.
- As the O&R owner of the Outage Management System (OMS) and NRG (Mapping) System, set the vision and drives the direction for OMS/NRG development teams to continue to advance the systems to effectively implement new requirements.
- As the designated Emergency Response Plan Operations Chief for emergency situations at O&R, must provide direction and vision to all individuals (Functional Coordinators) and teams (SERT) assigned to them, who are responsible for the safe and reliable restoration of the distribution system during emergencies and storms
- Support the General Manager on operational items and concerns, and coordinates distribution activities to help ensure the safe, economic and reliable delivery of electric service to our customers.
- Ensure compliance with all laws, regulations, Company policies and procedures, and appropriate industry standards, including NERC CIP and Reliability Standards, and rules promulgated by the served states public service commissions.
- As appropriate and in conjunction with the Energy Control Center (ECC) Chief System Operator, or their designee, act as the liaison between the DCC Operating/General Supervisors and bulk power operators during system emergencies.
- Ensure system equipment outages are reviewed, studied and approved as necessary.
- Responsible to review, analyze and/or prepare incident critiques for automatic operations, operating incidents, operator response, emergency preparedness, drill critiques, and event chronologies as required.
- Represents O&R on Joint Utilities teams and internal teams that are working on NYS clean energy initiatives. Manages the integration of NYS clean energy activities into DCC operations.
- Ensure the timely review, appropriate revision and approval of existing operating instructions, procedures and guidelines.
- Manage and participate in the development and preparation of budgets, operations planning, associated equipment specifications and other related matters, as appropriate.
- Ensure the development and implementation of new operating instructions, procedures and guidelines, as required, leading to consistent and sustainable standardization of compliant communications and operating actions to improve system reliability and productivity.
- Represent the General Manager of Control Center and Substation Operations at internal and external functions, as required.
- Works with Engineering and other internal organizations to ensure a seamless integration of ADMS and AMI technology into DCC operations. and manages the implementation of these new technologies in the DCC.
- Participate in, or delegate, membership in groups and committees related to various efforts and initiatives.
- Responsible to interface with IT, and vendors on computer and control center equipment- related items and issues in coordination with the Section Manager -Support Services Group.
- Perform internal and support external control center audits and provides performance feedback to ensure compliance on operating procedures, administration and communications.
- Ensure all Alternate Control Center (ACC) facilities are maintained in full readiness.
- Responsible to ensure all department training requirements are appropriate and satisfied as well as administration of payroll, overtime, work schedules, vacations, etc. for those supervised. Responsible to support annual programs for Summer Preparedness including emergency evacuation and system restoration drills.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And with at least 8 years of work experience Or
- Master's Degree And with at least 6 years of work experience
- A degree in Engineering is preferred.
Relevant Work Experience
- A minimum of 3 years supervision experience. Required
- Extensive work experience in and knowledge of electric operations, electric power systems, or electric distribution practices is required. Required
- Must demonstrate a high energy level, be flexible, and be able to handle multiple assignments while meeting deadlines. Required
- Strong decision-making, organization management, interpersonal, and verbal and written communication skills are required. Required
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and strong attention to detail are essential. Required
- Must be articulate, have a professional demeanor and have the capacity to deal effectively with public/elected officials, executives, peers and subordinates. Required
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications is required. Required
- Must have the ability to plan, organize, coordinate, manage and control the assigned operation in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Required
- The individual must have outstanding managerial abilities and a proven track record, and be one who can effectively analyze problems, identify opportunities, ensure their development and provide the follow-through to see the solutions implemented. Required
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- This position requires a criminal background check to satisfy NERC critical infrastructure protection requirements.
- A psychological and medical evaluation is required for this position.
- Must be willing and available 24/7, and available to be on call and/or participate in every off-hour distribution emergency or storm event.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be willing and able to travel throughout the service territory and must be available for occasional travel and stay outside the service territory for training, meetings, etc.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.