Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Section Manager will be responsible for developing and leading the implementation of Company-wide safety related programs and strategies to maintain and improve workplace safety and compliance with applicable federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations and standards, as well as Company policies, procedures and protocols. The Section Manager will also facilitate support and efforts with operating organizations to achieve a zero-harm culture. The Section Manager will serve as the company's central source for safety information including applicable governmental codes and regulations as well as Company policies, procedures and programs, and will develop plans, programs and strategies to ensure that we effectively protect workers, contractors and the general public from hazards associated with Company operations and activities. The Section Manager will function as the safety liaison with other corporate departments, operating organizations, senior level management and regulatory agencies regarding safety matters. The Section Manager will lead a team that provides in-depth EHS Safety support to various company-wide groups, make decisions and provide expert guidance on various Safety topics and concerns along with providing plus one customer support and continuously looking for improvement opportunities.
- Develop and lead the implementation of company-wide safety programs and strategies to ensure the company operates in full compliance with applicable federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations and standards, as well as Company policies, procedures and protocols to protect workers, contractors, general public and the environment from hazards associated with Company operations and activities.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles and adheres the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- Provide guidance and applicable response in reviewing and investigating safety related inquiries and incidents to maintain required reporting processes, determine root cause and establish appropriate corrective action plans. Oversee incident reporting and workplace injury and MVC investigations.
- Participate and develop EH&S Safety performance standards, criteria and goals; assist with correlations to existing and new systems and platforms; examples include, Close Call, Time Outs, Drive Cam program and Safety Leadership System (SLS).
- Promote a culture that supports high standards, ethical behavior and open communication in all environmental, health and safety activities and follow up to ensure corrective actions are implemented.
- Develops team goals and performance standards aligned with the Department's, Organization's and company's objectives. Continually tracks and measures these goals and performance standards and provides periodic status reports.
- Serves as lead on applicable safety related working groups and committees to be a catalyst for change, ensures procedure compliance, and develops EHS programs and policies.
- Review and oversee the approval and processes related to new safety equipment, supplies and services; collaborate with R&D on various safety equipment initiatives.
- Foster and support a culture of honesty, integrity and openness regarding environmental, health and safety issues.
- Set governance and appropriate protocols for mainframe and/or computer systems (e.g. SHIMS) to manage applicable EH&S safety incidents and data. Maintain the integrity of the systems used through security practices. Provide reports and respond to inquiries from EHS and operating organizations.
- Serve as a Safety liaison to multiple internal and external entities to maintain good working relationships and act as the company's and organization's spokesperson with agencies and keep senior management informed of significant EH&S-related events.
- Coordinate and/or participate with Union Safety Director or Union/Management Safety Committees.
- Develop team bench strength by encouraging cross-training and development of EH&S safety expertise in relevant areas.
- Perform other related assignments as directed by Director or VP.
- Bachelor's Degree Degree in non-technical discipline (e.g. business, social science, etc.) And 8 years' related experience Relevant experience in the EH&S field Or
- Master's Degree Degree in Safety, Engineering, or Physical Science And 6 years' related experience Relevant experience in the EH&S field Or
- Associate's Degree Degree in Safety, Engineering, or Physical Science And 8 years' related experience Relevant experience in the EH&S field
- Bachelor's Degree Preferably in Environmental Science, Safety, Engineering, Physical Science, or a related field. And 8 years (including 3 years of relevant EH&S experience Related work experience in EH&S or Operations preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree Non-related field (e.g. business, social sciences, etc.) And 8 years (including 5 years of relevant EH&S experience) Related work experience in EH&S or Operations preferred.
- Master's Degree Preferably in Environmental Science, Safety, Engineering, Physical Science, Business or a related field. And 6 years (including 3 years of EH&S experience) Related work experience in EH&S or Operations preferred.
Relevant Work Experience
- Must have EHS experience with safety and have managed EHS safety concerns for workforces and a working knowledge of the utility and energy businesses. Required
- Must have working knowledge of safety laws and regulations as well as Con Edison policies and procedures. Required
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial abilities with an awareness of personal strengths, receptive to feedback. Required
- Must be highly motivated individual, demonstrate a strong Commitment to Excellence, and understand the vital importance of personal accountability Required
- Ability to successfully complete multiple tasks without compromising quality or timelines. Required
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative team efforts without direct reporting relationships. Required
- Ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, regulatory agencies, and various levels of management. Required
- Initiate and champion change and have the ability to influence and persuade others in order to improve work practices/processes. Required
- Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team spirited work environment in support of Con Edison's Corporate Values. Required
- Must demonstrate proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets and/or an ability to quickly become proficient with database packages including Microsoft Office (including Teams), SHIMS, and other applicable systems. Required
Skills & Ability
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Effective leadership skills
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: Certified Safety Professional Preferred
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within O&R and CECONY service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.