Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Adhere to the Diversity and Inclusion initiatives that promote behavior consistent with the Company's and Corporate values relating to the treatment of peers, subordinates, superiors, customers, and the public.
- Supervises and directs the work force, prioritizes the daily work assignments and follows up to ensure work is completed safely, economically and in compliance with agencies and company procedures.
- Serves as mentor, coach, and advisor to EH&S Project Specialists, Senior Specialists, Specialists, and Sr Safety Inspectors.
- Maintains expertise in EH&S matters pertinent to operating areas and provides advice, counsel, and information to all levels of the organization. Serves as Electric Operation's Subject Matter Advisor for a wide range of EH&S Issues.
- Interface with all levels of management to determine EH&S needs of the operation and develop new programs/projects as needed to better the organization's safety performance and overall safety culture.
- Initiates and disseminates communications on EH&S issues between all organizational levels within Construction to promote a strong EH&S culture. Ensures that EH&S information is accurately and efficiently disseminated to operating field groups.
- Develops and Implements plans, programs, and strategies to ensure that operations effectively protect workers, the general public and the environment from the potential physical, chemical and biological hazards associated with or produced by Company operations and activities.
- Conducts and oversees field audits of Company crews and the contractor work force. Conducts post-event meetings. Manages and prioritizes corrective actions. Assesses the effectiveness of EH&S efforts, documents deficiencies, and coordinates with field groups to aggressively pursue global corrective actions and preventive measures with the goal of protecting the worker, the general public and the environment.
- Interface with all levels of Federal and Local Agencies as needed to better the organization's environmental and safety performance.
- Must be able to responds to emergencies 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Preferably in Safety Sciences, Occupational Safety & Health, Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Environmental Management & Sustainability. And 3-5 years Related Operations and EH&S work experience Or
- High School Diploma/GED And Minimum of 7 years Related Operations and EH&S work experience
- Bachelor's Degree Preferably in Safety Sciences, Occupational Safety & Health, Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Environmental Management & Sustainability. And 6-8 years Related Operations and EH&S work experience and obtain a certification in the EH&S industry (CSP, CIH, CUSP, etc).
Relevant Work Experience
- Must have strong knowledge and understanding of environmental, health and safety laws and regulations as well as experience working with regulatory agencies. Required
- Must be a highly motivated individual, demonstrate a strong Commitment to Excellence, and understand the vital importance of personal accountability. Required
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, regulatory agencies, and various levels of management. Required
- Must have excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully complete multiple tasks without compromising quality or timelines. Required
- Highly motivated and committed to delivering excellence in the area of EH&S and recognize the critical importance of teamwork. Required
- Must be able to develop concepts into successful safety and environmental programs/strategies. Required
- Must have good computer skills, with ability to learn in-house computer systems such as CRS, EMIS and SHIMS. Required
- Must be able to respond to the field for emergencies, investigations, field engineering and job planning walks, and work stoppages including Time Outs. Required
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) - Certification credentials should be active and in good standing Preferred
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) - Certification credentials should be active and in good standing Preferred
- Certified Utility Safety Professional (CUSP) - Certification credentials should be active and in good standing Preferred
- EH&S or Electric Operations Utility related work experience. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Effective leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple priorities
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must respond to system emergencies and perform System Emergency Assignments (SEA)
- Must be available to work off-hours (nights) as required.
- Must be physically able to wear a respirator and work in difficult environments (heat, noise and confined spaces).
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.