Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Responsible for providing the specification preparation, purchase, construction and maintenance support for major substation electrical equipment (HV and MV circuit breakers, power transformers, MV switchgear, capacitor banks, gas-insulated substations (GIS), instrument transformers, dc systems, test sets, etc.). This includes preparation of electrical equipment specifications, technical analysis of bid proposals, review of all manufacturers designs and drawings, factory and field inspection, and furnishing of technical expertise to the Construction and Operating Departments. Responsible for providing field support to system and equipment problems. Provides technical guidance and resolve problems during installation, commissioning, maintenance, and repair or replacement of equipment.
- Work independently, initiate areas of investigation, and drive projects/programs independently to achieve results.
- Prepares equipment and accessory purchase specifications; review and evaluates manufactures' proposals and drawings.
- Interfaces with equipment manufacturers, industry standards and R&D organizations. Performs vendor qualification activities and approves equipment suitable for our transmission and area substations
- Assists in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participates in preparation of budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, cost reviews.
- Provides input for the development and update of equipment health indices and recommends planned equipment replacements
- Conducts and participates in field evaluation/analysis of field equipment or system misoperations, prepares failure analysis reports and other analyses as may be required.
- Prepares test procedures for equipment commissioning or post repair restoration.
- Be part of the Engineering Duty Roster. Duties involve providing 24-hour support (reviewing and approving test results, responding to emergent issues) for a week, approximately 4-6 times annually.
- Performs other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years of work experience in the development and application of technical principles in substation equipment rating, application, specification, engineering, operation, and maintenance
Relevant Work Experience
- Computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Required
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Required
- Be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- Possess a working knowledge of applicable codes and industry standards associated with substation equipment. Required
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments. Preferred
- Preferred erence will be given to candidates with a specialization in electrical or power systems. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to work in and around substations that are under construction and/or in service.
- The positions involve working around electrical equipment, working indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions, and ladder climbing.
- Must be available to work additional hours, as needed, for system emergencies or equipment outage schedules.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.