Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- This is an entry-level position and is ideal for graduates of trade school looking to gain experience as a mechanical / electrical General Utility Worker.
- The primary responsibility of the General Utility Worker (GUW) in Construction Services - is to learn and qualify so as to move up in title based on the variety of curriculums, we offer such as Mechanical, Electrical, Machinist, and /or Welder.
- The work includes constructing and maintaining and repairing equipment on the electrical, steam and gas systems.
- The use of jackhammer, tamping, and digging equipment is essential to this job.
- The candidate must have the ability to learn to read blueprints and sketches, use hand and power tools, as well as perform standard maintenance and construction functions.
- The candidate must have knowledge of labor type activities, such as excavating, climbing, and working in confined spaces, to install or repair equipment to maintain our system reliability.
- The candidates must have the ability to follow safe work practices and procedures; comply with environmental policies and procedures, this is a Safety Sensitive Position.
- Obtain certificates of fitness and/or licenses [including but not limited to a Commercial Driver's License ("CDL")]; safely operate company vehicles; forklift operator training and become certified in First Aid and CPR.
- Candidates must be able to advance through career path training.
- The ability to demonstrate good oral and written communication skills is required.
- The candidates will be expected to provide outstanding customer service and present a positive image of the company to customers.
- Outside construction work experience preferred.
- Mechanical / Electrical aptitude preferred.
- If you accept a job offer in connection with this posting, you will be assigned to one of the company's operating regions within Construction Services (Bronx/Westchester, Brooklyn/Queens, or Manhattan) based on operational needs.
- This position requires the ability to work overtime, off hours, various rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays; and respond to emergencies.
- Must ensure that the Human Performance Improvements (HPI) tools are incorporated into daily work.
- Must be committed to fostering a Zero Accident Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence and effective Cost Management Culture and Enhancing the Customer Experience.
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- If extended a job offer, candidate will be required to obtain certifications from the American Red Cross for Standard First-Aid, CPR and Blood Borne Pathogens at their cost.
- High School Diploma/GED Relevant Experience in the any of the listed discipline
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Selected candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.