Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Under the direction of the Senior System Operator, ensures system voltages and real/reactive power flows are maintained within established limits.
- Creates and directs transmission switching orders utilizing available substation and system operating schematics in accordance with departmental and corporate protocols.
- Using sound judgment, adhering to department policies, procedures, regulatory standards and in conjunction with the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) & PJM RTO, directs and/or implements remedial emergency measures (e.g., load shedding, voltage reduction) to facilitate restoration to the normal state of all O&R controlled facilities following system disturbances or limit exceedances.
- Coordinates operation of substation equipment and restoration of customers in cooperation with the Distribution Supervisor and Substation Operations personnel.
- Coordinates the operation of jointly owned transmission facilities with neighboring utilities, the NYISO and PJM.
- Prepares reports as to electrical statistics, interruptions, regulatory data and other similar or related information, as directed.
- Participates in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree (technical curriculum preferred) with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in areas related to the principles of dispatch and operation of an electric system. Or
- Associate's Degree (technical curriculum preferred) with four (4) years of experience in areas related to the principles of dispatch and operation of an electric system.
Relevant Work Experience
- Maintain NERC and PJM certifications by obtaining the necessary continuing education credit hours.
- Should possess strong electrical theory and operating background, and demonstrate familiarity with relay protection and transmission and distribution systems and their associated equipment.
- Prior supervisory experience is preferred.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact at all levels across the organization
- Ability to work well in team situations; participate in cross-functional teams as required.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including proficiency with PC software and the Microsoft Office Suite, including but not limited to MS Excel, Word and Outlook.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: Complete all System Operator qualifying exams/task verifications and attain NERC (TO or RC) and PJM (TO) certifications 1 Year
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to travel to various corporate, NYISO and PJM locations.
- Must be able and willing to travel, as needed.
- Must be willing to work a rotating shift schedule including nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time as this is a fixed post position.
- Must successfully pass a Personnel Risk Assessment which includes a 7-year background check, and training associated with NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection Standards (CIPS).
- Must pass drug/alcohol testing as required by corporate policy.
- Due to the extensive training requirements, a minimum of a 2 year commitment is required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.