Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Responsible for coordinating and directing all activities on the electric generation, transmission, and distribution systems with the goals of ensuring the safety of personnel and the public, maintaining continuity of electric service to customers, and preventing damage to equipment. Interact with various stakeholders across organizations and mentor others formally and informally.
- Direct the necessary switching and implement protective measures as governed by procedure to attain the highest degree of safety for work on intermediate and high voltage electric equipment.
- Coordinate the operation of the electric system with internal and external customers including regional control centers, operators, neighboring utilities, and transit systems utilizing three-part communication.
- Respond to unplanned emergencies and automatic operation (open auto) of electric equipment to facilitate and expedite repairs and restoration.
- Participate in daily (per shift) meetings to communicate equipment status and outage progress to leadership and peers.
- Monitor the operating status of telephone protection circuits and protective relay systems to ensure system equipment is adequately protected at all times.
- Review station alarm circuits and supervisory equipment to determine the appropriate action when irregular conditions are indicated or reported.
- Commit to fostering a Zero Harm culture, supporting efforts to increase Diversity and Inclusion, achieving Operational Excellence, developing an effective Cost Management Culture and enhancing Customers Experience.
- This is a supervisory transition rate eligible position (STR5) with rotating shift premium pay.
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 years relevant experience or
- Associate's Degree and 5 years relevant experience or
- High School Diploma/GED and 7 years relevant experience
Relevant Work Experience
- Relevant experience may include: Engineering, Substation Operations, Electric Operations, Gas Operations, Low Voltage Network practices, Overhead Distribution practices, Steam/Electric Generating Stations, Construction. Required
- Must have excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and good interpersonal skills. Required
- Must be computer proficient including familiarity with Microsoft Office suite. Required
- Field Experience in a technical setting, such as Supervisor, Operator, Splicer, Mechanic, Troubleshooter, Technician, or Inspector. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: Qualification Entry Exam Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Position requires the ability to work at a fixed post that may involve sitting for a long periods of time.
- Must be able to pass annual Job Sensitive examination.
- Must be able to work with limited supervision.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts (alternating day and night watches).
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.