Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Works with other Area Managers to set priorities that provide the most efficient and economic utilization of resources relative to effective planning and scheduling of maintenance and operation activities.
- Oversee the coordination and activities associated with repair, replacement and testing of all high voltage equipment in all local substations.
- Confers with Con Edison Engineering, vendors and contractors giving technical information for the purchase of needed services and equipment.
- Ensures that the areas storeroom is operated and complies with all related corporate procedures.
- Achieves targeted performance goals within budgetary constraints.
- Directs and enforce the administration of all provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Corporate Personnel policies and SSO procedures to support Con Edison's Corporate Values and Missions.
- Oversee monthly Safety Meetings and provide follow-up to resolve Safety related issues.
- Contributes to Environmental excellence by performing all work in a professional manner in accordance with the highest standards of environmental protection and control. Ensures that health and safety plans are reflective of job scope and are understood and enforced by field personnel.
- Indoctrinate operating personnel into the Substation environment.
- Coaches and develops management staff to routinely and effectively manage their job responsibilities and that of their subordinates (e.g., development and corrective action for union employees).
- Responsible for maintaining Physical Security compliance at various facilities as required by NERC and Company policies and procedures.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and 8 years' Experience in Operations (i.e., Electric, Gas, Central Operations etc.) or
- Master's Degree and 6 years' Experience in Operations (i.e., Electric, Gas, Central Operations etc.)
Relevant Work Experience
- 6-8 years' experience in Operations and Maintenance of utility equipment, failure analysis, quality assurance, budget controls, training administration, technical report writing, and outage coordination required. Required
- Must be familiar with disciplinary process and arbitration process. Required
- Must be able to exercise independent judgement and assess the ability to render sound business decisions. Required
- Must be well organized, detailed orientated, flexible to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines. Required
- Must possess superior oral, written and presentation communication skills and be able to effectively interact with customers, support staff, subordinates and various levels of management. Required
- Must possess strong leadership skills, people skills, and initiative to champion change and have the ability to influence others in order to improve the management process. Required
- 5 years' supervisory experience. Preferred
- Knowledge of and experience with substation equipment and procedures are strongly preferred. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must use their personal vehicles and transport, store, and secure company laptop computers and other job related equipment in the vehicle. Reimbursement for use of personal vehicle is available through the company mileage procedure.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.