Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Project Engineer is responsible for coordinating multi-discipline projects, including reviewing engineering estimates, schedules, field drawings and specifications for completeness and accuracy.
- Monitors schedules, progress and cost control of the project. Works directly with the Central Operations Project Manager as the single point of contact for Central Engineering for the assigned projects.
- Ensures engineering adherence to specifications, drawings, company and regulatory requirements and any special conditions.
- Attend field visits, field walks and pre-award meetings.
- Ensures that all projects are entered into databases including scopes of work, estimates, schedules, engineering calculations and procurement information. Responsible to update status of project deliverables in the Central Engineering project status database(s).
- Coordinates engineering package and schedule review meetings.
- Act as a lead, providing knowledge and expertise to colleagues while managing project tasks and schedules across multiple technical functional areas.
- Will support the needs of Con Edison during System Emergencies and Equipment Outages.
- Provide technical insight and review of equipment and construction specifications, vendor bid documents, EH&S checklist for projects.
- Meet with vendors and customers to optimize the proposed design, and establish project schedules.
- Coordinate with Lead Engineer and/or Engineering Lead to confirm both in-house and out-of-house design efforts, licensing, environmental, permitting, safety, compliance, etc. requirements are incorporated into the project.
- Troubleshooting problems as they arise on a project - finding efficient and effective solutions.
- May perform other assignments as directed.
- May perform other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and 5 years of applicable engineering and/or design work experience in utility operations, construction, substations, steam and/or power generation operations or
- Master's Degree in Engineering and 3 years of applicable engineering and/or design work experience in utility operations, construction, substations, steam and/or power generation operations
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical Engineering
Relevant Work Experience
- Mimimum of four years experience in distribution system design and calculations, and in the distribution systems Operations Required
- Must be able to render sound business decisions, handle multiple assignments , and meet deadlines Required
- Must have the ability to supervise technically oriented employees Required
- Knowledge of STAR and WMS Preferred
- REQUIRED EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels.
- Computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to oversee large projects.
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Supervisory experience of management and union employees.
- Knowledge of applicable project management specifications, policies, standards, and best practices.
- Experience writing, reviewing, editing request for proposals (RFP) for engineering and/or design services.
- Construction or utility operations experience in substations, steam and/or power generation operations.
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferred
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to travel to company locations and wear the required PPE as needed.
- Must be willing and able to work in substation / switching station areas (in an around live electrical equipment).
- Must be willing and able to crawl and walk between electrical equipment.
- Must be willing and able to walk extensively indoors and outdoors and climb ladders.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.