Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Senior Specialist's primary responsibility is the development and delivery of the company's various Emergency Preparedness training initiatives and their supporting materials. The Senior Specialist is also responsible for educating Company stakeholders on the Emergency Preparedness programs, initiatives, and courses and facilitating training and exercises throughout the service territory.
- Secondary duties include participating in ad hoc teams for the development, conduct and evaluation of exercises; communication and promotion of updated plans and procedures to support the development of a prepared and well-trained workforce; participation in storm/system preparation and recovery management efforts, as needed; maintaining relationships with internal stakeholders, as well as regulatory agencies and various external agencies; and support of the company's emergency management/preparedness activities.
- Emergency Preparedness Specialists are expected to work as, or support, on-call staff during company emergencies and fulfill an emergency role, as required by his/her designated System Emergency Assignment.
- Serve as the Emergency Preparedness on call duty liaison and coordinate internal and external communications and field support, as required.
- Develop, maintain, and deliver training programs to meet the needs of the Company and operating organizations.
- Ensure that all assigned training courses have current learning objectives, course outlines, instructor guides, student manuals, training aids, media, and comply with Emergency Preparedness document control.
- Help promote best practice sharing within business units and across support functions, as appropriate.
- Support developing corrective actions and process improvements projects for implementation.
- Enter and track improvement items and corrective actions in company action tracking system (e.g. ARCHER).
- Stay informed of operating incidents, issues, procedures, lessons learned, etc. Communicate these to the Emergency Preparedness staff and other company personnel, where applicable.
- Assist with the development, conduct, and evaluation of exercises, as required.
- Maintain inventory of the materials required to conduct training.
- Work with Emergency Preparedness team members to create, maintain and update plans, procedures, and processes, as required.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and professional associations and publications.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Master's Degree and 2 years or
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 years or
- Associate's Degree and 4 years or
- High School Diploma/GED and 5 years
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 years Emergency Management, communications, business, management, operations, public administration related experience preferred
Relevant Work Experience
- Can demonstrate an understanding of and experience with the Incident Command System (ICS) and/or Emergency Management/Preparedness related principles Required
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and flexible with the ability to handle classroom instructional responsibilities and special assignments. Required
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills and can develop relationships and effectively interact with employees throughout the company. Required
- Adept with technology and highly proficient with the Microsoft suite of products including SharePoint, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. Required
- Ability to learn new technologies as required for the job using documentation and other available resources as required. Required
- Must have the ability to develop presentations and group activities/training. Required
- Ability to complete multiple assignments with changing priorities while still meeting deadlines. Required
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills required. Required
- Maintain a professional demeanor and have the ability to deal with all levels of management, regulatory agencies, union personnel and customers. Required
- Must have experience developing or conducting training. Preferred
- Basic understanding of the operation of energy commodity systems (e.g., electric overhead and/or underground distribution systems, steam, gas, substations and transmission operations). Preferred
- Demonstrate a proven track record of working well in team situations and be willing and able to lead multi-discipline teams. Preferred
- Update and maintain eTrain and Learning Management System (LMS) records. Produce and utilize reports from TLC portal. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: ICS-100 90 Days Preferred
- Other: ICS-200 90 Days Preferred
- Other: ICS-700 90 Days Preferred
- Other: ICS-800 90 Days Preferred
- Other: ICS-300 1 Year Preferred
- Other: Homeland Security Exercise Evaluation Program (HSEEP) L-146 Preferred
- Other: Exercise Design Course G-139 Preferred
- Other: Instructional Design and/or Methodology Preferred
- Other: Presentation Skills and/or Instructor Training Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to drive a company vehicle.
- Must be able and willing to work/travel to various Company locations and to the field as needed in all weather conditions.
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Candidate is able to work outside in all types of weather and will be required to participate in off-hour emergency response activities, including weekends and holidays, as needs dictate.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.