Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Provide technical and regulatory oversight for concerns, issues, questions, and activities associated with Con Edison's Spill Prevention Countermeasure and Control (SPCC) Plans, Facility Response Plans, Petroleum and Chemical Bulk Storage, general instructions and environmental specifications.
- Communicate with regulators on the Company's behalf and provide guidance to EHS representatives and operations for compliance with all federal, state and local environmental regulations and laws.
- Ensure that safe work practices are followed, and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Work with the regulatory subject matter experts to evaluate proposed changes to regulations and law governing associated programs, assist in coordinating company involvement and advocacy strategies. The Scientist shall work with EH&S Operations to develop and administer training.
- Assists in the development of correspondence to regulatory agencies as required.
- Coordinate the Spill Management Team, and have the responsibility to oversee required response plans, participate in drills and respond to the release of hazardous substances.
- Interpret and provide guidance on the applicability of any local ordinances pertaining to these subject matters.
- Provide technical support for EPA and NYSDEC requirements for bulk chemical usage, storage and exposure.
- Perform Quality Assurance reviews for responsible subject area.
- Develop Quality Assurance protocols that will outline the intent, methods and scope of the review.
- Participate in EH&S Emergency Resource Mobilization during emergencies. Be available to work overtime and shift work, when needed.
- Assess environmental aspects of company locations to confirm regulatory compliance.
- Lead company initiatives to identify environmental risks, and work with operational organizations to develop and implement mitigation plans.
- Lead longer term remedial effort for large spill. This shall include oversight of outside contractors and interactions with regulators.
- Respond to environmental incidents, including petroleum and oil spills, steam main failures and chemical releases.
- Act as the Qualified Individual (QI) for the company for drills and spills at major oil facilities
- Attend spill drills hosted by peer companies for familiarization and networking with regulators and response contractors.
- Utilize Con Edison's internal environmental management applications including the company chemical reporting system, oracle, which provides specific information on company chemical usage.
- Master's Degree and 2 years related work experience or
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 years related work experience or
- Associate's Degree and 5 years related work experience or
- High School Diploma/GED and 7 years related work experience
- Master's Degree Environmental Science, Biology, Environmental Management, Engineering or related field
- Bachelor's Degree Environmental Science, Biology, Environmental Management, Engineering or related field
Relevant Work Experience
- Candidates must be capable of demonstrating their environmental experience. Required
- Must be a highly motivated individual. Demonstrate a strong Commitment to Excellence and understand the vital importance of personal accountability. Required
- Completion of Company CEHSP program as soon as possible. Successful completion of position-specific EH&S as applicable. Required
- Must be highly organized, capable of managing multiple tasks, and adjust priorities as needed. Required
- Ability to effectively interact with various levels of personnel. Required
- Strong team player. Demonstrated ability to obtain results. Required
- Must have excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully complete multiple tasks without compromising quality or timeliness. Required
- Must possess strong leadership skills, initiate and champion change, and have the ability to influence and persuade others in order to improve work practices/processes. Required
- Must be able to lead outside chain of command Required
- Capable of identifying root cause and bringing about an accepted resolution. Required
- Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team spirited work environment in support of Con Edison's Corporate Values. Required
- Must demonstrate proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets and/or an ability to quickly become proficient with database packages including Microsoft Office, EMIS, SHIMS, and Maximo. Required
- Must be flexible in handling multiple work assignments, changing priorities and various deadlines. Required
- Environmental incident responses Required
- Experience overseeing remediation projects Preferred
- 3-5 years Professional experience working on issues requiring oversight of federal and state petroleum and/or chemical bulk storage programs. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Performs work independently with minimal supervision
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
- Must be able to read small print and symbols.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.