Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Practice Operations Paralegal will provide legal assistance to attorneys in the Law Department. The role involves diverse legal tasks, including maintaining case files, drafting documents, and participating in the discovery process. The role will require a hybrid work schedule. The selected candidate will support one or more of the following practice areas: General Litigation, Mass Tort, Commercial Litigation, Commercial Transactions, Energy/Environmental, and Labor, Employment, Benefits & Workers Compensation.
- Assist attorneys in preparing pending litigation; prepare draft motions, testimony and responses to discovery demands served on or by the Company; draft Table of Contents and Table of Authorities.
- Prepare and organize all required legal documents, including basic motion practice; upload electronic documents to Caseworks and/ or the Department's document repository and electronically file documents.
- Create matters in the Department's Matter Management System.
- Maintain case calendar and files and handle other tasks related to Practice Operations support.
- Coordinate with and advise Company personnel providing documents in response to discovery requests.
- Process vendor invoices for payment.
- Perform legal research, analyze documents, and catalog exhibits.
- Process settlements and vendor invoices for payment.
- Assist the company during system emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment. This may require off-hour and weekend emergency response.
- Associate's Degree and a minimum of two years paralegal or legal experience is required. or
- High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of 4 years paralegal or legal experience.
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of two years paralegal or legal experience.
- Paralegal Certificate and a minimum of two years paralegal or legal experience.
Relevant Work Experience
- Minimum 2 years paralegal or legal assistant experience. Required
- Must be able to work well independently or in a team environment. Required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint. Required
- Must be detail-oriented with good analytical skills and ability to efficiently handle multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines. Required
- Must have excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and handle internal and external contacts professionally with tact and sensitivity. Required
- Must be disciplined and have excellent time management skills. Required
- Must have strong interpersonal skills as well as exemplary follow-up skills and ability to work effectively with employees at all levels. Required
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: New York Notary License that must be obtained within six months of hire date. Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.