Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Supervises Operators (Senior Substation Operators, Assistant Substation Operators, GUWs, etc) a majority of the time in the operation of substation equipment. As needed, will supervise mechanics, engineering inspectors and subordinate titled personnel in the maintenance, construction, repair and inspection of substations and associated substation equipment and structures. Orders, coordinates and ensures availability and timely delivery of materials, supplies and equipment.
- Will interface with various Con Edison departments and personnel who enter our substations (i.e.-Electric Operations, Transmission Operations, Central Engineering, etc.).
- Ensures that the operation, maintenance, repair and inspection of transmission and area substations equipment and structures are performed in compliance with operating procedures.
- Attend the daily management meetings to report job progress, be fully knowledgeable of work scopes and submit Work Permit Requests in a clear and concise manner.
- Work with the Field Planners and Central Planning group to improve work plans and provide feedback to planners on work plans.
- Certifies accounts for and approves expenditures for labor, material supplies and equipment within prescribed limits.
- Ensures personnel comply with all company and departmental rules and regulations. In addition, ensures that all work functions in the substations are in compliance with safety procedures, OSHA laws and general environmental instructions.
- Initiates preliminary accident investigations and submits reports.
- Investigates substation abnormalities, equipment status, and job status within the substations.
- Conducts environmental, health and safety lectures.
- Plans, organizes, schedules and assigns personnel to meet operating and climatic conditions to optimize productivity.
- Orders, coordinates, and ensures availability and timely delivery of materials, supplies and equipment. Certifies, accounts for and approves expenditures for labor, material, petty cash, supplies, and equipment within prescribed limits.
- Enforces good housekeeping practices for equipment and work areas. Ensures safety in work procedures, job setups, and job briefings.
- Ensures station compliance items and equipment PM's are performed on time as per department procedures and specifications.
- Will supervise field personnel in work activities, coach, schedule, train, and have appropriate safety discussions.
- Must be committed to fostering a Zero Accident Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence, Developing an Effective Cost Management Culture and Enhancing the Customers Experience.
- Enforces Company procedures, e.g. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Substance Abuse, Discipline and Security.
- Must be committed to the Way We Work Principles, adherence to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S).
- Will ensure that all personnel, tools and material are safely and effectively utilized and the use of Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools is incorporated in daily activities.
- Committed to fostering an environment where employees understand their purpose, feel valued and are collectively aligned towards making improvements across the organization.
- Ensure that all Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) work practices are followed and work is done in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations
- The supervisor is also responsible for conducting On the Job training (OJT), effective job briefings and documented job site safety exchanges.
- Enforce all contractual and local work rules; assign personnel to jobs in accordance with the Weekly Work Schedule and adhering to the station schedule.
- Must be able to perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and 2 years related work experience 2 years of experience in operations, maintenance or construction of power generation, transmission or distribution equipment or equivalent education/experience is required. or
- Associate's Degree and 4 years related work experience 3-4 years of experience in operations, maintenance or construction of power generation, transmission or distribution equipment or
- High School Diploma/GED and 5 years related work experience 5 years of experience or more in operations, maintenance or construction of power generation, transmission or distribution equipment.
Relevant Work Experience
- Work experience in the operation, maintenance, or construction of power generation, transmission, and distribution equipment Required
- Computer Skills including Microsoft Office programs, Maximo/DataSplice, Engage/ePlan Required
- Exercise independent judgement and able to render sound business decisions Required
- Be detailed oriented, able to work under pressure and handle multiple concurrent assignments Required
- Strong oral and written communications skills, good presentation skills and ability to effectively interact with both internal and external customers, support staff, and various levels of management and union Required
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, good presentation skills and the ability to effectively interact with both internal and external customers, support staff, and various levels of management Required
- Must be computer literate and be able to apply practical applications in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and work management systems such as Maximo, Engage and OSS Required
- Supervisory experience Preferred
- Technical experience or working knowledge in the operation, maintenance, construction, inspection, and repair of the electrical transmission and distribution system to include: substation operations, switchgear installation, grounding practices, circuit breaker mechanics, and electrical distribution transformers Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: NYC S-95 certification 1 Year Required
- Other: NYC S-12 certification 1 Year Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must use their personal vehicles and transport, store, and secure company laptop computers and other job related equipment in the vehicle. Reimbursement for use of personal vehicle is available through the company mileage procedure.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.