Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Duties include conducting walking and mobile surveys of gas mains, services, stations and plants using gas General Mains plates, BYERS mapping software, Mains & Services Plates and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD)/Gas Inspection System (GIS) computer system.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Detecto Pak Infrared device (DPIR), Gas Measuring Instruments (GMI) and various gas leak investigation tools.
- Additional duties include conducting gas leak investigations, classification of gas leaks, documenting surveys and leak investigations and inspection of gas piping for atmospheric corrosion.
- Candidates selected for positions will also be crossed trained for assignments in Corrosion Control. Duties in Corrosion Control include, but are not limited to, taking pipe-to-soil readings and performing pipeline mark outs.
- Associate's Degree And 3 years' gas related work experience in GDS or construction Or
- High School Diploma/GED And 5 years' gas-related work experience in Gas Distribution and/or Gas Construction, with extensive experience in the investigation and classification of gas leaks.
Required Work Experience
- Proficient in the proper testing and operation of natural gas detection equipment Required
- Able to read and interpret gas, steam, and electric mains and services plates Required
- Proficiency in the use and operation of computers. Required
- Must successfully pass a written test and an interview for the Electrical Technician (ET) title Required
- These candidates will also be expected to pass a written and practical examination for promotion into the Senior Electrical Technician (SET) title, within 18 months of obtaining the Electrical Technician title. Required
- Proficient in performing leak classifications and outside leak investigations Required
- Proficient in conducting gas leakage walking surveys Req
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.