Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Assistant General Counsel (Mass Torts) is responsible for managing a portfolio of complex tort litigations including, but not limited to multiple-party personal injury/property damage events, asbestos claims, and insurance matters. They will provide oversight to external counsel on matters typically involving utility operations, engineering, construction, or regulatory issues where expert witnesses, agency investigators, and forensic consultants are often involved. The Assistant General Counsel provides strategic legal advice on complex legal and insurance matters and on a wide variety of legal, regulatory, and reputational risks. The Assistant General Counsel frequently collaborates with other in-house counsel.
- Leading and managing a team of attorneys and legal professionals on litigation from initiation to resolution.
- Hiring and effectively managing outside counsel, experts, consultants, and other legal vendors.
- Creating effective litigation and risk-mitigation strategies under time constraints and setting appropriate reserves.
- Understanding and managing legal, regulatory, and reputational risks.
- Providing timely, accurate, clear, and concise legal advice on complex litigation and insurance related issues to operational and business clients, external auditors, and senior leadership.
- Analyzing data and reporting on metrics relevant to the work of the group.
- Responding to emergency events to protect the Company's interests, providing advice and counsel relating to evidence preservation and potential litigation.
- Developing effective strategies and defenses in evolving asbestos litigation.
- Representing the company as needed in federal and state courts and arbitration and mediation forums.
- Legal research and writing.
- Leading or participating in departmental or cross-functional teams.
- Assisting the Vice President - Legal Services on projects and other matters.
- Providing any other legal services related to the Company as may be required.
- Juris Doctorate Juris Doctorate Degree from accredited Law School required. And Admission (or the ability to waive in) to the New York State Bar required.
Required Work Experience
- Minimum of 8 years experience as a practicing attorney. Required
- Substantial experience leading teams of attorneys or other legal professionals, significant initiatives, or both. Required
- Substantial experience litigating or overseeing complex tort litigation including, but not limited to large-scale events such as explosions and fires, asbestos claims, and insurance matters. Required
- Must have a firm understanding of New York courts and litigation practice. Required
- Experience hiring and managing outside counsel and expert witnesses, establishing litigation plans and budgets, and other legal operations duties. Required
- Experience reporting on litigation handling, case management, and metrics. Required
- Experience advising business clients on complex matters and emergency events. Required
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects effectively and efficiently. Required
- Must have the flexibility and ability to handle a busy work environment. Required
- Must excel at written and oral communication skills, negotiation skills, presentation skills, interpersonal skills, and must maintain a focus on customer service. Req
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to answer a phone for entire shift
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory and beyond, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.