Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Sr. Specialist in EH&S Codes and Projects is responsible for the coordination, implementation and management of fire and life safety assessments,s and fire permit renewals in Substations. The Sr. Specialist must be able to assist local operations with questions and concerns about fire suppression and fire alarm systems and other protective devices to ensure employees, contractors and the public remain save and existing codes and procedures are adhered to.
- Provide guidance and subject matter expertise to assist Operations and other EH&S groups in managing various fire and life safety programs, initiatives, and requirements.
- Coordinate the implementation and management of Substations fire permits and fire suppression systems with fire department and approved vendors.
- Manage a fire permit renewal program to ensure permit inspections remain in compliance. Work with EH&S Programs with invoice payment and distribution of fire permits to operations. This includes updating centralized fire permit tracking system.
- Interact with internal customers of all company levels on a proactive basis. Interface effectively with regulatory agency representatives, customers, and other external parties as required and/or directed.
- Engage with field personnel across company working groups to provide guidance on new fire suppression technologies and initiatives.
- Prepare reports and supporting materials to communicate incident analyses, compliance trends, performance information, regulatory issues, and other subject matter area-specific discussion documents.
- Prepare and present topic-appropriate materials to communicate safety-related information and requirements among mixed audiences that may contain field employees as well as all management levels, such as the EH&S Committee, Information Exchange and Safety Administrator meetings.
- Attend industry events, forums, conferences and benchmarking opportunities in support of fire and life safety equipment or process improvement opportunities and leverage relevant information to implement at Con Edison to foster a zero-harm culture.
- Participate in internal customer and external safety teams, committees, events & task forces, as directed.
- Review corporate EH&S procedures and instructions on a prescribed schedule.
- Demonstrate ongoing development in knowledge of fire and life safety principles, as well as the supporting sciences, technical bases, and regulatory subject matter areas.
- Ensure that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with company policy and governmental regulations.
- As directed, provide immediate response to incidents on a 24x7 basis and in accordance with a duty schedule; conduct/support lessons learned development.
- Must be committed to fostering a Zero Accident Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence, Developing an effective Cost Management Culture and providing a +1 Customer Experience.
- Administer and coordinate other fire and life safety-related programs and initiatives, and other related tasks and assignments, as directed.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And Four (4) years relevant work experience Experience supporting an operational organization in a technical or EH&S capacity Or
- Associate's Degree And Six (6) years relevant work experience Experience supporting an operational organization in a technical or EH&S capacity Or
- High School Diploma/GED And Seven (7) years relevant work experience Experience supporting an operational organization in a technical or EH&S capacity
- Bachelor's Degree Technical discipline (i.e. engineering, fire protection or
- science background Or Technical discipline in fire/life safety/safety or related field. Career or voluntary fire fighting experience helpful
- Associate's Degree Technical discipline or relevant social science And Technical discipline in fire/life safety/safety or related field. Career or voluntary fire fighting experience helpful
Required Work Experience
- Functional expertise in the technical principles of fire and life safety-related procedures, instructions and equipment. Required
- Ability to effectively interact with various levels of personnel is required. Required
- Operational familiarity with the practices and requirements of Con Edison's service commodities is preferred. Required
- Understanding of root cause analysis techniques and data analysis principles. Preferred
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local health and safety regulations. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Project Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.