Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Candidate must perform the following test to proceed in the posting: Weld a 2 ,'' schedule 160 carbon steel butt weld in the 6G position with a GTAW root and hot pass then E7018 fill and cap, then pass NDE / Radiographic Test.
- Must have welding knowledge in API1104 OR B31.1 welding codes or have attended classes in a certified welding school.
- Must be able to complete and achieve welding qualification in down-hand API1104 and B31.1 welding codes.
- Successful candidates for this position must be interested in qualifying as Mechanic A's related to Welding.
- The nature of this job requires an individual to have the ability to perform both mechanical and electrical maintenance work.
- Must possess or will get a NYC burning license and fireguard certification.
- Must maintain all license certifications.
- Upon successful completion of welding school, the candidate must be able to fabricate piping from layouts, blueprints, and mechanical drawings.
- Must be able to interpret welding specifications, standards and procedures, and work unsupervised to complete assignments.
- Must be able to perform welding tasks and various mechanical duties on steam, gas, and electric facilities.
- Must be willing to further welding skills as the need for such welding specifications is required by the department.
- Knowledge and skill are required in, but not limited to, the use of hand and power tools and the application of safe work practices.
- Being able to perform standard maintenance functions and safe construction work practices in compliance with environmental policies and procedures.
- Candidates must also have the ability to advance through career path training and present a positive image for the company.
- The selected candidate must be able to work overtime, off hours, various rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays; and respond to emergencies.
- Must ensure that the Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools are incorporated into daily work activities.
- If you accept a job offer in connection with this posting, you will be assigned to one of the company's operating regions within Construction Services (Bronx/Westchester, Brooklyn/Queens, or Manhattan).
- Must be able wear a respirator.
- Candidates will be expected to work safely and are required to communicate clearly with their coworkers and customers.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is directed. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adheres to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- Must be committed to fostering a Zero Accident Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence and Developing an effective Cost Management Culture and Enhancing customers experience.
- High School Diploma/GED And 3 yrs. of welding experience Experience should include practical knowledge of API1104 OR B31.1 welding codes and various mechanical duties on steam, gas and electric facilities.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.