Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Job Summary: Operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of steam boilers, turbines, generators, water treatment systems and all auxiliary equipment. Perform equipment rounds, startup and shut down all equipment, provide protection for the work groups and perform electrical switching to make equipment safe for work. Perform routine minor maintenance including filter replacements, oil changes, media changeouts, minor valve repairs and inspections. Operators works 12-hour rotating shift to provide 24/7 support.
- Must be able to perform operational functions; including the operation of boilers, turbines, generators and all auxiliary equipment in a steam generating station.
- Must have the ability to perform mechanical maintenance tasks and considerable manual labor.
- Qualify in various operating posts including, but not limited to: Rover/field operator, Control Room operator, and perform electrical high tension switching.
- Perform functions required for steam production, operate equipment associated with steam generating boilers such as boiler feed pumps and fans, turbine-generators and related auxiliary equipment, water treatment systems, and fuel delivery systems.
- Must troubleshoot equipment in the field that fails to start/stop.
- Perform mechanical maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of boiler water chemistry and steam cycles.
- High School Diploma/GED And Relevant Power Plant, Merchant Marine, United States Navy, or other related maintenance experience. Or
- Bachelor's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering
Required Work Experience
- Relevant Power Plant, Merchant Marine, United States Navy, or other related mechanical experience. Req
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.