Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- This position is covered under US Department of Transportation regulations and therefore successful candidates will be required to undergo random drug tests, which will include marijuana. You may also be randomly tested for drugs at any time during your employment with Con Edison, including for marijuana.
- The primary responsibility of the General Utility Worker (GUW) in Gas Operations is to assist in the maintenance and repair of the gas distribution system, perform mandated inspection programs, and respond to emergency calls. Selected candidates must possess technical and mechanical ability to learn to perform natural gas pipeline maintenance in the field.
- The selected candidates will be required to access/enter customer premises, and interact with customers on a regular basis, and will be expected to provide outstanding customer service and present a positive image of the company to our customers and the general public.
- Successful candidates must have the ability to follow safe work practices and procedures; comply with environmental policies and procedures;
- Candidates must also have the ability to advance through career path training.
- Perform standard maintenance functions; ability to safely operate a jackhammer (90lbs. in weight) for extended periods of time, ability to pinpoint leaks in gas mains and services, and the ability to use hand and power tools.
- Successful candidates must have a valid driver's license and a demonstrated ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. They must also pass a written and practical road test to be administered by Con Edison.
- Obtain certificates of fitness and/or licenses [including but not limited to a Commercial Driver's License ("CDL")]; safely operate company vehicles; become certified in First Aid and CPR;
- This position requires the ability to work both indoor and outdoor environments in all weather conditions. Selected candidates will be required to work overtime, various rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays, based upon operating needs.
- If you accept a job offer in connection with this posting, you will be assigned to one of the company's operating regions within Gas Operations (Bronx/Westchester, Queens or Manhattan).
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Selected candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.