Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Control Systems Engineering department within the Central Engineering organization seeks to hire an Engineer to join the Relay Protection, Metering, and Security Engineering section. The department seeks a highly motivated candidate who demonstrates a strong commitment to excellence and understands the vital importance of personal accountability with an ability to render good business decisions.
- The Candidate must demonstrate a high energy level, promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values, and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence.
- The Engineer will be assigned to design and apply relay protection systems, including teleprotection channels, for the ConEdison transmission and distribution system. This includes the design of modifications to existing relay systems in steps to minimize equipment outages, the review of schematic and wiring diagrams and test result data, and the creation and review of procurement specifications. The duties also include performing short circuit calculations and relay coordination studies.
- The Engineer will develop documents regarding relay protection systems for use by operating personnel during day-to-day operations, for compliance purposes, and for general recordkeeping.
- The Engineer will coordinate engineering activities with Substation Operations, Construction Management, PST, and other company departments to ensure that their assignments are completed successfully. They will keep their supervisor informed, in a timely manner, of actual and/or anticipated problems regarding their assignments.
- The Engineer will act as the lead on some projects and will be responsible for creating scoping documents, estimate requests, appropriation requests, requests for proposals, and etcetera in accordance with Central Engineering processes and procedures. When not the lead, the Engineer will support the lead in creation of the same. In all cases, the Engineer will ensure that the long term goals of their assignments are successfully implemented and must be able to work as part of a team.
- The Engineer will participate in engineering design review meetings and manage outside vendor design efforts. This includes acting as the main technical liaison between the Company and the vendor in support of the creation of deliverables such as relay setting files and support documentation.
- The individual must demonstrate analytical ability and the capability to resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems. The Engineer will also be required to provide real time support during the commissioning of relay systems.
- The Engineer will be required to represent Con Edison on regional relay protection committees. Experienced individuals will be required to mentor and train less experienced engineers.
- The Engineer will be required to follow all compliance requirements including creating and maintaining proper compliance documentation. The Engineer will also participate in compliance audits and the preparation of responses to interrogatories as needed.
- The Engineer will periodically be available 24 hours a day to consult with operating organizations on relay problems and resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- The Engineer will perform other task and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 2 years full time work experience, which includes one year work experience in power systems engineering or operations - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 3 years work in any of the following areas: relay protection, power systems engineering or operations - ENGINEER (2L), Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 8 years experience in the application of relay protection systems at either the distribution or transmission level - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 6 years experience in the application of relay protection systems at either the distribution or transmission level- SENIOR ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Requires the ability to deliver exemplary customer service.
- Must possess strong technical competence, be well organized, and detail oriented.
- Must be flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Must have demonstrated analytical abilities.
- Must have a high regard for personal accountability, and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree, or higher, in Electrical Engineering.
- Must be able to work on a team.
- Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with subordinates, colleagues, and various levels of management.
- Requires computer proficiency to include MS Office. Required
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- Must have experience in setting relays, performing coordination and fault studies, developing logic, and using related software.
- Must demonstrate the ability to write specifications and standards.
- Must have good project management skills with a demonstrated record in implementing multi-discipline projects. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be available for travel both regionally and continent-wide, to attend conferences, meetings, etc. as needed.
- Must be capable of working in various indoor and outdoor conditions.
- Must be able to walk/climb/stand extensively.
- Must be able to work in power plants and high voltage substations and wear the required PPE as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.