Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Write news releases, talking points and other materials under tight deadlines, serve as spokesperson on major issues and events, and initiate positive publicity about the company and its employees.
- Distinguish the needs of storytelling across various media such as social media, video, podcasts and print, and have a proven track record of proactive, positive media placements and experience associated with crisis communications.
- Maintain open communications between the company and the news media, customers and other external stakeholders.
- Act as a company spokesperson on a broad range of policy, issue and event-related matters, initiating contact with or responding to the print, television, radio and social media.
- Develop public relations activities for key products and services and corporate programs.
- Maintain thorough familiarity with and promote all major company programs; work with other departments and organizations to develop and implement media relations activities to support their goals and objectives.
- Participate in the evening and weekend coverage of the Media Relations duty phone on a rotating basis with other office colleagues.
- Ensure implementation of company safety, health and environmental programs. Ensure that safe practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with company policy and government regulations.
- Know how to research and describe key issues and to develop talking points and messages rapidly and concisely.
- Be comfortable making presentations and knowing how to create presentations for other executives.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, English or Communications.
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years experience working in a Public Affairs agency, news organization or media relations office of a large corporation or government agency. Required
- Knowledge of how the news media works and understanding their needs and demands for information, as well as being able to prioritize information and to anticipate reporters inquiries are musts. Required
- Be able to interact with news media and various levels of management. Required
- Must know how to prepare news releases, talking points and/or other written material under tight deadlines. Required
- Must be available 24/7 for response to emergencies and media inquiries. This involves taking overnight media calls on a rotating basis with other colleagues after regular work hours. Required
- Know how to distinguish the needs of storytelling across various media such as social media, video, podcasts and print, and have a proven track record of proactive, positive media placements and experience associated with crisis communications. Required
- Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and have the ability to perform under emergency or high-pressure conditions. Required
- Demonstrated ability to understand and explain complex technical and policy matters. Req
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Effective interpersonal skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.