Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- State Regulatory Affairs (SRA) is looking to hire an energetic, highly motivated individual to join its team as a Specialist. The ideal candidate for this dynamic position will:
- Assist senior SRA and EMPG staff in monitoring regulatory issues and proceedings at the New York Public Service Commission, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, and developments in the regulation of wholesale natural gas and electricity markets at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and other federal agencies, as applicable.
- With direction from senior SRA and EMPG staff, attend meetings, including on occasion state energy regulatory open sessions, and other public and non-public meetings with state regulators to communicate company positions and to enhance company-wide situational awareness of regulatory discussions. Analyze impact of potential changes in market rules or rates, including interstate pipeline rate cases, on the reliability and cost of service for Con Edison and its customers, and recommend courses of action.
- Work with internal stakeholders to formulate recommended company positions and proposals on key issues.
- Work in partnership with internal organizations, such as electric operations, gas operations, steam operations, central operations, legal, government affairs, finance and accounting, customer operations, customer energy services or other organizations to ensure development of appropriate regulatory and energy policy positions and outreach and advocacy strategies to achieve policy objectives that meet the needs of customers.
- Identify appropriate communications and issues development with customer groups and other state agencies, including NYSERDA and to create material to advocate positions including participation in conferences and other external forums.
- Support advocacy efforts at stakeholder working group meetings and national association committee meetings. Participation in such meetings would also be useful to gain insight as to stakeholder views and issues, and to share such insight with EMPG staff. Also, will assist in preparation of presentations and other back-up materials for meetings.
- Prepare position papers on energy issues relevant to our advocacy priorities, articles for internal newsletters on energy policy developments, and briefings for internal stakeholders.
- Prepare training and education modules and tours for regulatory staff and other stakeholders.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 2 years of work experience
- Master's Degree and at least 2 years of work experience
Required Work Experience
- Must have a minimum of two years of work experience. Required
- Able to work independently and offer recommendations to management based on sound business judgment. Required
- Must also be detail oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple assignments and required deadlines. Required
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to read and summarize lengthy documents quickly. Required
- Must have strong research skills and be able to conduct basic quantitative studies. Required
- Understand the vital importance of Commitment to Excellence and possess a high regard for Con Edison's Corporate Values and Mission and cultural priorities. Required
- Knowledge of or interest in wholesale energy markets. Preferred
- Knowledge of wholesale natural gas markets and interstate pipeline practices, and/or familiarity with the NYISO, PJM and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission wholesale market activities or knowledge of bulk power systems, substations, gas transmission systems and/or generation operations is required. Preferred
- Knowledge of bulk power systems, substations, gas transmission systems and/or generation operations is also desirable. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.